Total Pageviews

Monday 1 August 2011

SWIMMING THEN YOU'RE WINNING - MELISSA HEPBURN

Melissa joined the group to get ready for her impending triathlon. It was not the warmest of days, but new wetsuit in hand she got changed, nerves showing clearly on her face as she came to the waters edge. The shock of the chilly water nearly sent her flying back on to dry land, but she perservered, made to through the weed, viewed the boats under that water, panicked massively on more than one occasion - but came back for more. She practiced her technique alot, learnt to relax and competed in her first race, here is her heartfelt story of getting into the open water which I am sure you will enjoy, please feel free to add your comments

SWIMMING THEN YOU'RE WINNING

When I was little I did the perfunctory lessons at the swimming baths and attained the dizzy heights of my 50 metre badge.  I have been lucky enough to live on the glorious Northumbrian Coast for most of my life.  With little money to go around our summers were spent with egg sandwiches at Druridge Bay hiding behind our wind breakers. We used to spend all day in the sea with my dad John who was a brilliant swimmer towing us around on his back accompanied by the family dog who loved nothing more than being in the water with us. I always remember my dad as being so fit and he loved to swim. 

For some reason I'm not sure why I developed a bit of a fear of water.  I could get up and down a pool kicking my legs with some kind of breast stroke arms, petrified at thought of my face being in the water.  I joined the Army in 1999 and was posted all over the world including Belize.  During an exercise in Belize we were required to a river crossing in our full kit.  I remember feeling absolutely terrified of swimming across that river, (crocodiles, Piranha's etc) to the point my knee's were knocking.  I managed to get across doing my doggie paddle best and feeling relieved I had escaped a certain death at the end.  I kept thinking I would love to be able to swim properly.

In 2005 my dad was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Multiple Sclerosis which has seen my fit and able dad slowly deteriorate into a wheelchair.  I left the army in 2007 and moved home to be closer to my family in light of my dad's health.  However I began to feel something was missing.... a challenge..... I kept reading articles and books by these crazy people doing Triathlon's.  I kept thinking I would love to give it a go....however my doggie paddle wouldn't be enough to get around a swim course especially in a lake.



I carried on with my running and started cycling in 2010 and a glimmer of hope appeared.  Maybe I could do a Triathlon after all.... I was speaking about it one day with my dad and he told me to go for it because you never knew how long your health would last.  I made a firm decision to learn to swim and in January 2011 I turned to You Tube.  I watched some tutorial clips and also with the help of my wonderful boyfriend Matt who is a very capable swimmer started flapping around at the local pool.  This turned to lengths with my face in the water and finally some sort of crawl.

I took the plunge and entered into a local sprint Triathlon with a lake swim which was scheduled for June 2011.  I was lucky enough to know Pauline through working with her Fiancee Geoff and I first met her in 2010 at Druridge Bay country park where they were doing an open water swim. They were in their wetsuits and I told them I thought they were crazy, there was noway I could swim in a lake.  Despite this I finally summoned up the courage to join the gang down at Ellerton for a swim in my brand new wetsuit in April 2011.  I freaked out the first swim however with Paulines gentle coaching I came along leaps and bounds and then it happened,  I was addicted.  The feeling of swimming outdoors is absolutely amazing.   I started doing crazy things like taking my wetsuit on holiday and swimming in a freezing cold scottish loch or taking the dogs for a run down to the beach and swimming in the sea whilst everyone looked on in jumpers. In 6 short months I felt like I could (and wanted to) swim everywhere although slowly! 



I completed my first triathlon in June 2011 and It was one of the best things I have ever done.  My dad was at the end waiting for me and I felt so proud.  What I have described isn't anything out of the ordinary for accomplished swimmers however seeing my dad the way he is has given me a new appreciation for my health and I plan to use to the full.  Ok, so being able to swim a couple of miles in a lake isn't that big a deal for some people....however for me I have learned something new, gained new friends and I have a whole new set of goals now (Iron man), I feel like I can achieve anything.  So go on be brave and give it a go, what you waiting for.....

Finally a note from me - Mel won't mind me tell you about the time she had a spot of difficulty seeing the buoys in the water and after going off at a severe tangent one day I dashed after her to put her back....asking her what 'object' she had be using to sight the buoy, she pointed and said that she was sighting the buoy...she then pointed in the direction of a large white object in the distance...the object was a swan...shes not the first nor will she be the last!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Melissa, thanks for sharing and it's been good to read of your swimming achievements. My partner has MS, and this has obviously influenced me, but has also given me an appreciation too, for the health that I possess today. Happen, I might meet you at Ellerton Lake one day, and all the best with your future challenges (David Hurst - Sheffield).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this very honest and inspiring post Melissa. Good to get your perspective, people get into this for may different reasons (Alison O'Brien- Sunderland)

    ReplyDelete